Thursday, November 5, 2009

I'd like John Singer Sargent's opinion...

When I painted this sample oil portrait, I needed a solid, showy artwork for a faculty show in another state.  In my mind, the real key to this appealing painting is in its simplicity, elegance, and debonaire quality of the gentleman.  Happily, when people see this 40 x 30 oil in my studio, they often say how it reminds them of John Singer Sargent. Well, flattering as that may be (and whether they are educated enough in art to truly make such a comparison may be in question), I wonder what his opinion would be on this comparison? We too often hear something referred to as Sargent-esque.Wouldn't it be wonderful to have an opportunity to talk with a master painter just for a quick critique?  Let me know what you think. What makes a painting timeless and appealing...and maybe - Sargent - esque?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, I believe that he would approve!!