Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Portrait - the initial wash...


I don't know what happened to Tuesday... but here I am again... The answer to "do you paint or draw every day?" A resounding "YES!" ...under most circumstances. What I don't do every day is get back to the computer to report all that has happened! 7:30 am breakfast meeting, 9 am portrait sitting, 11 am consutaltion at studio with appointment from out of town, 12:30 luncheon appointment, 2 pm appointment with potential workshop sponsor, 3 pm with student who dropped in for a pep talk, 4 pm portrait sitting at client's home, 7 pm to my home to wind down... Now notice in there were two sittings. Here is a photo of the next step of the painting I worked on...the oil wash on a 24 x 20 linen canvas. I refer to this as a wash because I use a round sable to loosely draw the placement of the figure on the canvas with paint thinned greatly with turpentine. Then follow that with washes with a large brush and broad strokes to fill big areas. Somewhere between 60 and 90 minutes later...

No comments: